L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Man sought who molested 17-year-old boy while posing as a police officer

February 2, 2010 |  8:11 am

Cypress authorities are looking for a man who molested a 17-year-old boy while posing as a police officer.

The victim had been traveling south on Valley View Street from Orange at about 12:15 a.m. Monday when he pulled over on a side street to use his cellphone without violating state law, said Cypress Police Department officials.

As he pulled over, he noticed a reddish full-size pickup truck tailing him, officials said. The driver of the truck contacted the victim and said he was an off-duty police officer.

The suspect took the victim's cellphone and driver's license and told him to pull over just across the street, into the parking lot of a restaurant in the 9500 block of Valley View Street. The victim did as he was told, and in the lot the suspect proceeded to conduct a pat-down search, sexually assaulting the victim several times, officials said.

In the course of the sexual assault, said Sgt. Tom Bruce, the victim realized the driver was not an off-duty police officer and became scared.

"He tried to make excuses as to why he had to leave," Bruce said.

The suspect must have sensed the victim's nervousness, Bruce said. The man returned the victim's drivers license and cellphone and allowed him to leave 15 to 20 minutes after pulling him over.

The man is described as a clean-shaven, 160-pound, 5-feet-11 white male, about 40 years old, with brown eyes and gray-brown hair. He was wearing a black jacket with front pockets.

If caught, the suspect would face charges of molesting a minor, false impersonation of a police officer, kidnapping and sexual battery. Anyone with information should contact the Cypress Police Department's Detective Bureau at (714) 229-6631.

-- Amina Khan

More breaking news in L.A. Now:

Family allowed to sue CHP over release of grisly crash photos

2 fatally shot in apparent murder-suicide in El Monte home

Souvenir photo could identify alleged Tower of Terror groper

Roman Polanski extradition could take up to a year, Swiss officials say

Comments 

Advertisement










Video