L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

L.A. court takes up Roman Polanski sex case today

January 6, 2010 |  7:30 am

Polanski A judge will again take up the case of Roman Polanski, two weeks after a state appellate court proposed a way to bring the three-decade-long legal saga to a close.

Polanski’s lawyers and prosecutors are to appear before Superior Court Judge Peter Espinoza today, but the subject of the proceeding was unclear. Court officials described the hearing only as a status conference.

A spokeswoman for the L.A. County district attorney’s office said the filmmaker’s lawyers requested a meeting with Espinoza, the supervising judge of the criminal division.

In a decision last month, three justices of the 2nd District Court of Appeal refused to throw out the case but suggested that sentencing Polanski in absentia would allow for a full airing of the director’s allegations of prosecutorial and judicial misconduct without requiring the 76-year-old director to return to the United States.

Polanski remains under house arrest at his Swiss chalet while courts weigh an American extradition request.

In 1977 a 13-year-old girl told police that Polanski raped and sodomized her during a photo shoot. He pleaded guilty to a charge of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor but fled to Europe before his 1978 sentencing.

Swiss authorities arrested him in September as he arrived in Zurich for a film festival.

-- Harriet Ryan

Photo: Movie director Roman Polanksi. Credit: Los Angeles Times

More breaking news in L.A. Now:

Police seek witnesses to robberies in South L.A.

Two dead in Rosemead murder-suicide

Foothill city of Monrovia struggles to deal with its bear population

Heiress Casey Johnson to be buried on East Coast; questions over death remain

Comments 

Advertisement










Video