L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Parents of suspect released without charges in Hemet backyard killing

The parents of a 17-year-old boy wanted on suspicion of fatally shooting, burning and burying another teen in the backyard of the family's Hemet home have been released without being charged, authorities said today.

Maria and Jose Seym, the mother and stepfather of 17-year-old Jose Campos, were arrested Thursday for allegedly helping to cover up the killing of Adrian Rios, 17, last month.

Rios was last seen sometime around Nov. 15, when he went to watch a San Diego Chargers football game on TV at the Seyms' rented house on Bluejay Way. That night, neighbors reported smelling a fire burning in the backyard.

Hemet police executed a search warrant on the property two days later and found a shallow grave and burned body parts that were later identified as Rios' remains.

Campos' parents returned home while the fire was still burning, police said.

There were six other people at the house at the time, including three who are wanted in connection with the slaying: Campos; his girlfriend, Felicia Sharpe, 17; and Rene Lopez-Fregozo, 21. Another unidentified person also is being sought, police said.

All four were described by police as friends. Rios was a student at Hemet Community School, a facility for those expelled from other schools.

A spokesman for the Riverside County district attorney's office refused to explain why the Seyms were released Monday without being charged, citing the ongoing investigation. The spokesman, John Hall, did not rule out that they could be charged in the future.

-- Tony Barboza

More breaking news in L.A. Now:

La Puente man charged after walking 3-year-old son into traffic

Top educators fight to preserve California's 50-year master plan for higher education

Smoking ban for outdoor restaurant seating backed by L.A. City Council committee

Detectives probe slaying of attorney at his upscale Palos Verdes home

Family seeks answers in disappearance of Italian chef from cruise ship

 
Comments () | Archives (3)

I do not believe the burnt remains have been officially identified as Adrian Rios. Most likely this will be true but the DNA results have not been released or discovered yet.

Ed, who else could it have been in the fire? Where is Adrian Rios then? Stop trying to cover up the truth.

The last update on this case was that the parents of Jose Campos had been released and that the remains still had not been identified. This case appears to be at a stand still at the moment. Have not heard anything more on this case. Seems to be pretty quiet.


Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: