L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Teen suspects in slaying of Long Beach honors student could be tried as adults

Los Angeles County prosecutors could decide as early as today whether to charge as adults two alleged gang members who gunned down a Long Beach honors student.

The two teens allegedly opened fire a week ago outside Wilson High School after the homecoming football game, striking a popular 16-year-old student who police said was an innocent bystander.

Two men -- an 18-year-old and a 20-year-old -- were wounded in the shooting, which occurred about 10 p.m. as crowds of students gathered near Ximeno Avenue and 10th Street. Police believe the men may have been the intended targets.

Police believe the shooting was the result of a gang feud. Detectives have not released the names of the suspects because they are juveniles. The Press-Telegram reported that the alleged shooter was a member of a violent Crips gang and had been arrested earlier this year in connection with an armed robbery and had spent time in juvenile hall. The teen was allegedly a close associate of another gang member who was gunned down earlier this year.

At first, detectives struggled to find witnesses, even though hundreds of students were on campus when the shooting occurred. Police said more students came forward Monday, some at the urging of school officials.

The shooting shocked faculty and students at the campus, a diverse school that serves some of the city's most affluent communities.

The shooting victim, Melody Ross, was wearing a "Supergirl" costume the for the homecoming game against Polytechnic High School, which was attended by a number of students decked out in costumes on the day before Halloween.

--Shelby Grad

 
Comments () | Archives (4)

Yes, I'm for trying them as adults, and I hope that they will rot in prison for the rest of their natural lives. They had no since of good judgement what so ever, and to go to a place where they know that hundreds of men, women and children are, who had nothing to do with two stupid gangs feud, is just beyond me, because they're feuding over What?. It would be nice for our US Government to start treating these low life thugs like the terrorist they are, and start rounding them up, and putting them out in prisons in the desert, where they could be in the closest place to hell.

if these little coward gang banger punks did it, convict them and then off to death row with them.

Ya think...

How about we try him as an adult and send him to the gas chamber...all before the next year anniversary of the murder he committed...Now that would be sweet justice...then posted on YouTube....

Any teenager who uses a gun as a weapon should always be charged as an adult if it ends in death.


Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: