Times executive picked to run Tournament of Roses
The Tournament of Roses today announced that it has picked Times executive Scott McKibben as its new executive director, effective Nov. 30.
McKibben, executive vice president and chief revenue officer for the Los Angeles Times Media Group, will replace Mitch Dorger, who announced his retirement earlier this year.
Although the Tournament of Roses is primarily a volunteer organization, the chief executive manages its day-to-day operations, including personnel, budgeting and sponsorship for both the Rose Parade and the Rose Bowl Game.
McKibben said he is eager to help lead the team of staff, partners and the 935 volunteers who put the parade together.
“It’s a great organization,” he said in an interview, “and an opportunity to be involved in a high-level community event and, at the same time, be involved in the business side of operating an event like a parade and a Rose Bowl game. This is the granddaddy of them all.”
Although McKibben will assume the executive director post next month, Dorger will not formally retire until April 2010. That arrangement, said Tournament spokeswoman Vanessa Flores, allows the two men to work together planning and coordinating the events for next year’s New Year’s Day celebration.
—Cara Mia DiMassa