L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Roman Polanski trying to complete film from jail, collaborator says

October 14, 2009 |  7:23 am

Polanski Roman Polanski is attempting to complete his film "The Ghost" from his jail cell in Zurich, where he faces extradition to the U.S. in connection with a three-decade-old sexual-assault case involving a 13-year-old girl.

Richard Harris, a longtime Polanski collaborator and co-writer of "The Ghost" screenplay, said at Britain's Cheltenham Literature Festival that the director was working on the film, including communicating with the film's composer.

"I don't think he can make phone calls," Harris told The Guardian. "But he can communicate." 

Earlier this week, Polanski's attorney said Polanski was depressed behind bars. Swiss authorities have rejected the director's request to be released on bail.

Harris said Polanski is focusing on finishing the movie, a thriller starring Pierce Brosnan and Ewan McGregor.

"It is a nightmare looming that the director might be in jail at the time," Harris said. "But we will just have to cope with this as the situation develops. I'm sure he would want the film to go ahead, having worked on it for two years."

Prosecutors want Polanski to return to Los Angeles to face sentencing in the sexual-assault case.

-- Shelby Grad

Photo: Director Roman Polanski in 2007 at the Cannes Film Festival. Credit: Anne-Christine Poujoulat / AFP/ Getty Images

More breaking news in L.A. Now:

Jaycee Dugard breaks silence, saying she's beginning recovery [Updated]

Rains jam morning commute, but no major mudslides so far

Judge to consider whether to dismiss challenge to Prop. 8

FBI searches for female bank robber in San Diego suburb

Comments 

Advertisement










Video