Nicole Richie gets restraining order against two paparazzi
A Los Angeles judge today granted a temporary restraining order against two paparazzi accused of stalking Nicole Richie and her young children.
The restraining order, which was signed by L.A. Superior Court Judge David S. Cunningham III, requires that the men, Eduardo Arrivabene and Ivon Miguel, stay at least 100 feet away from Richie and her two young children, Harlow Madden, 2, and Sparrow Madden, 6 weeks.
In a statement attached to the order, Richie said that she was involved in a car crash on Oct. 5 as the men were attempting to photograph her with her family. Since then, she said, the men’s harassment “occurs on a daily basis....I am fearful that [their] continued presence may cause yet another accident, this time with my infant children in the vehicle.”
Richie, the daughter of singer Lionel Richie, is perhaps best known for her television series with then-best friend Paris Hilton, “The Simple Life,” in which the two women lived for a month in rural Arkansas. But since then, she has become a multi-media force, designing jewelry and clothing lines, and even authoring a semi-autobiographical novel. Pictures of Richie and her partner, singer Joel Madden, are frequently splashed across tabloid and mainstream magazines.
Despite numerous run-ins over the years between celebrities and photographers attempting to capture their every move, the granting of such a restraining order against celebrity photographers is very rare. That’s due in part to 1st Amendment protections, and to the fleeting nature of celebrity — as fortunes ebb and flow, so do the packs of photographers who follow stars.
In the early 1970s, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis went to trial to obtain an order against photographer Ron Galella, who had relentlessly pursued the former first lady and her children. In interviews three decades later, Galella said that the trial made him more famous and helped him earn more money.
But in the last few years, the prices that paparazzi photos can fetch have soared so high that photo agencies have begun putting full-time teams of photographers on certain celebrities.
In the restraining order, Richie says that the men have sat outside of her house, waiting for her to leave, following her and her family “almost daily, stalking our home, as we try to go about living our lives.”
Richie’s attorney, Mark Geragos, called the men’s conduct dangerous. “There’s a fine line between being a paparazzo and a stalker, and these two clearly crossed it,” Geragos said.
A follow-up hearing is scheduled for Nov. 16.
-- Andrew Blankstein and Cara Mia DiMassa
Photo: Nicole Richie poses on the red carpet during the opening night of "The Devil Wears Prada." Credit: Los Angeles Times