L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Former DWP chief to earn up to $82,000 over three months as consultant to agency

October 14, 2009 |  1:17 pm

Los Angeles city officials today released the terms of the controversial consulting contract for the former general manager of the Department of Water and Power, H. David Nahai, who resigned this month.

Under the three-month contract, Nahai can earn a maximum of $82,000 to “provide consulting services and provide knowledge transfer relating to issues that arose during his tenure as chief executive officer and general manager."

Nahai is required to make himself available by phone or e-mail during normal work hours. The DWP’s interim general manager, Deputy Mayor S. David Freeman, provided copies of Nahai’s contract to the City Council this morning.

Councilman Dennis Zine last week said it was "absolutely absurd" for the utility to pay two executive salaries in these difficult economic times.

The contract began Oct. 7 and ends Dec. 31.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa instructed Freeman on Tuesday to conduct a “cost-cutting’’ review of the DWP budget before requesting any water or power rate increases and asked him to accelerate the replacement of aging water pipelines after a rash of recent ruptures.

Freeman today withdrew a proposal before the Council that could have increased tiered water rates.

-- Phil Willon at City Hall

More breaking news in L.A. Now:

Doctors group suing state over medical board furloughs

Federal agents bust reputed smuggling ring with ties to L.A. gang

Judge refuses to dismiss challenge to Prop. 8

California agribusiness pressures school to nix Michael Pollan lecture

Rain tapers off as storm front begins to leave Southern California

Moderate rainstorm 'just the beginning' of mudslide worries, county official says

San Diego's tough-love Second Chance program gets ex-convicts ready for jobs

Jaycee Dugard breaks silence, saying she's beginning recovery [Updated]

Micro quake hits near Rancho Cucamonga

Judge to consider whether to dismiss challenge to Prop. 8

FBI searches for female bank robber in San Diego suburb

Roman Polanski trying to complete film from jail, collaborator says

Comments 

Advertisement










Video