L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Huge swath of Angeles National Forest is closed to the public because of Station fire [Updated]

September 3, 2009 |  3:47 pm

Angeles National Forest officials said today that they are closing the southern portion of the forest — a huge swath of land that stretches from near the Grapevine to the 15 Freeway — until the Station fire is contained.

Acting Forest Supervisor Marty Dumpis signed the order to close the forest this morning, with the closure going into effect at noon.

While the closure is in effect, entering or being on ntional forest land, roads or trails, as well as within the area, is not allowed. Anyone who violates the order can be fined up to $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for a group, and can face up to six months in prison.

Forest Service spokeswoman Barbara Rebiskie said some roads into the forest had been closed previously, but this was the first major forest closure in the wake of the massive wildfire.

She said businesses in the Mt. Baldy and Wrightwood areas would remain open.

[Updated at 8:02 p.m.: An earlier version of this post identified Marty Dumpis as Martin Dump.]

—Ari B. Bloomekatz at Hansen Dam

Comments 

Advertisement










Video