L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Containment of Station fire expected by Tuesday instead of Saturday [Updated]

September 18, 2009 |  7:27 am

Officials have pushed back their estimated containment of the Station fire from Saturday to Tuesday and said this morning that the destructive blaze was now 93% contained.

More than 700 firefighters were battling the deadly fire, which has burned more than 160,000 acres. Two firefighters were killed and dozens of dwellings were lost.

Firefighters have been moving earth and setting backfires to surround the largest wildfire in Los Angeles County history. Even if containment occurs Tuesday, the fire won't be officially out.

"When a fire is contained, a fuel break had been completed around the fire manually by hand line, and/or mechanically by dozer line," according to a statement by fire officials. "These breaks may also include the use of natural barriers such as rocky outcroppings. When a fire is controlled, it has been extinguished completely, including hot spots. When a fire has been controlled, the fire line is secure enough so that flare-ups within the fire perimeter will not break through the line."

Angeles Crest Highway and the southern part of Angeles National Forest remain closed. And detectives continue to investigate the blaze, which has been classified as arson.

-- Shelby Grad

[Updated at 9:15 a.m.: An earlier version of this story incorrectly said the Station fire was the largest wildfire in California history. It’s the largest in Los Angeles County history.]

Comments 

Advertisement










Video