Metrolink approves rate hike
Fares on Metrolink trains will go up by 3% on average system-wide this summer, transit officials announced today.
The hike, approved by the agency’s board of directors, would equate to a $5 to $6 increase a month for a typical monthly pass holder, for example, said Metrolink spokesman Francisco Oaxaca.
“It’s to cover the typical increase in cost that our agency faces in operating existing services,” Oaxaca said of the price hike.
The increase is scheduled to go into effect July 1, but it could be pushed back 30 days to Aug. 1 because programming of the ticket vending system typically takes 60 days, Oaxaca said.
In another development, Oaxaca said passengers will continue to be able to use their Metrolink tickets to transfer for free to 20 other transit operators, such as the MTA, through June of next year.
The decision rejects an earlier proposal that would have required passengers to foot part of the cost of the transfers. Metrolink will cover 85% of the cost; and the MTA the remaining 15%, Oaxaca said.
--- Ann M. Simmons