Jerry Brown on Facebook: 25 random things
That California Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown likes arugula and has practiced Zen meditation is no surprise — but duck hunting?
Brown, who recently joined Facebook, posted his list of “25 Random Things About Me” Thursday, divulging not only that his favorite cereal is Flax Plus Multibran but that he also is part owner of a ranch, that he once went duck hunting with the late Chief Justice Earl Warren and that he is still “running” for office. Brown is expected to run for governor to succeed Gov. Schwarzenegger. (See Item 24.)
Scott Gerber, Brown’s spokesman, said Brown, 70, banged out the list on his computer Thursday without the knowledge of his staff. He described the list as a "personal" matter for Brown.
“Using Facebook shows he is with the times, and gives the sense that he is doing what thousands of other people in the state are doing, which is filling out these random things and giving others some insight into themselves,” Gerber said.
This is Brown’s list:
I’ve seen lists of "25 Random Things About Me" that people are sending around Facebook. I thought I would share my own list with you.
1. I got my first dog 13 years ago, a black Lab named Dharma.
2. At Yale, I took “Psychiatry and the Law” from Anna Freud, Sigmund’s daughter. I also studied Roman law.
3. In 1958, I took vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience. Later, Pope John XXIII dispensed me from these obligations.
4. I took marriage vows for the first time 3 years ago.
5. I practiced Zen meditation under Yamada Roshi and Father Enomiya-Lassalle in Japan.
6. My official portrait as Governor was quite controversial and the legislature refused to hang it. My Father said if I didn’t get a new one, I could never run again. It is now hanging and I am still running.
7. I am not fond of Mediterranean fruit flies, or of Malathion. Both are bad.
8. I dislike shopping.
9. I started 2 charter schools in Oakland, the Oakland school for the Arts and the Oakland Military Institute.
10. When governor, I decided not to have an Inaugural ball and my inaugural speech was 7½ minutes. For the inaugural dinner, we went to Man Fook Lo, a Chinese restaurant in the produce district of Los Angeles. It was once a favorite of Mae West.
11. I am a part owner of a ranch in Colusa County. It belonged to my Great-grandfather.
12. I worked with Mother Theresa in India at the Home for the Dying.
13. I’ve been duck hunting with Chief Justice Warren, but not with Vice President Cheney.
14. I sued Richard Nixon’s lawyer for helping the President cheat on his income tax.
15. I like arugula and broccoli.
16. On my honeymoon, my wife and I canoed down the Russian river.
17. I was a cheerleader at St. Ignatius High School.
18. I knocked my opponent to the canvas in a 3 round boxing match at Senior Fight Night.
19. My favorite cereal is Flax Plus Multibran.
20. My first car was a 1941 green Plymouth. My most famous car was a 1974 blue Plymouth.
21. I own a colt 38, given to me by my father.
22. I went to Bangladesh as a CARE ambassador.
23. I hiked to the top of half dome. My first trip to Yosemite was when I was 4.
24. The first time I became Governor, I followed an Actor (Ronald Reagan).
25. My maternal grandfather was a San Francisco Police Captain. My paternal grandfather ran a poker club in the Tenderloin.
Photo: Brown with Dharma. Credit: Robert Durell/Los Angeles Times.