Prop. 8 causes Westside traffic misery
Hundreds of people protesting on the Westside over the passage of Prop. 8 are causing gridlock in a part of L.A. already famous for bad traffic.
The Times' Tami Abdollah reports that the gridlock is gripping streets around the Westside. She said it took her a half-hour to go a mile. She said most major streets -- including Sepulveda Boulevard, Barrington Avenue and Olympic Boulevard -- are jammed. Side streets around the area are also clogged with cars. There is major congestion through Beverly Hills as well.
- Portions of Santa Monica Boulevard are closed between Beverly Glen and Westwood boulevards.
- Portions of Westwood Boulevard are also closed north of Santa Monica Boulevard.
- Portions of Ohio Avenue are closed east of Westwood Boulevard.
- The closures have caused major congestion on Wilshire Boulevard, a part of which was closed.
- The eastbound Wilshire Boulevard offramp from the 405 Freeway is closed.
These closures change as the protesters move through. Some streets open then close again.
Photo: Barbara Davidson / Los Angeles Times