L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Boston judge: No bail for 'Clark Rockefeller'

No_bail_for_clark_rockefeller Clark Rockefeller, (aka Christopher Crowe, Charles Smith, Chip Smith and Christopher Chichester) the chameleon-like German national embroiled in a kidnapping case in Boston and wanted for questioning in the disappearance of a San Marino couple, will stay in jail, the Associated Press reports:

A man who calls himself Clark Rockefeller thought it was so outrageous to be held on $50 million cash bail, he asked the court to reconsider.

It backfired.

A judge, citing his “ingenious capacity” for deception, on Thursday ordered the German native held without bail on charges he kidnapped his 7-year-old daughter, sparking a search from Long Island marinas to Caribbean islands.

Authorities say Rockefeller is really Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter, who has been living under multiple identities — including a physicist, a ship captain and a Wall Street trader — since coming to the United States in 1978. He's also a person of interest in the 1985 disappearance of a California couple.

“Before me is somebody who by his life appears to have demonstrated a capacity — a very ingenious capacity — to transform himself and to maneuver his way around this country and the world through deception and the exercise of obviously powerful intelligence,” said Judge D. Lloyd Macdonald.

Gerhartsreiter had asked for a reduction in the $50 million bail set by a magistrate earlier this week. His lawyer, Stephen Hrones, said authorities could keep track of him by confining him to his home and requiring him to wear an electronic monitoring bracelet. But Macdonald said he could not think of any bail conditions that would ensure Gerhartsreiter would show up for his trial.

Rockefeller -- now referred to by his real (we think) name, Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter, says he's innocent in the charges of parental kidnapping and assault. That arrest opened a Pandora's box, with  Gerhartsreiter now a person of interest in the unsolved disappearance of San Marino couple, Jonathan Sohus, 26, and his wife, Linda, 28, in 1985.

-- Veronique de Turenne

Photo: Essdras M. Suarez / POOL

 
Comments () | Archives (0)

Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

About L.A. Now
L.A. Now is the Los Angeles Times’ breaking news section for Southern California. It is produced by more than 80 reporters and editors in The Times’ Metro section, reporting from the paper’s downtown Los Angeles headquarters as well as bureaus in Costa Mesa, Long Beach, San Diego, San Francisco, Sacramento, Riverside, Ventura and West Los Angeles.
Have a story tip for L.A. Now?
Please send to newstips@latimes.com
Can I call someone with news?
Yes. The city desk number is (213) 237-7847.

Categories




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: