Annual report card shows water quality problems at beaches
The Times' Tony Barboza has details on the latest Heal the Bay study on water quality at Los Angeles County beaches :
Only 75% of county beaches earned A’s or Bs, down from 80% the year before.
Water quality statewide dipped by 2% but remained "very good to excellent," according to the report.
The annual report gives hundreds of California beaches letter grades based on weekly state-mandated tests that probe the water for bacteria.
Top 10 Beach Bummers (Poorest water quality statewide)
1. Cowell Beach -- at the wharf (Santa Cruz County)
2. Avalon Harbor Beach on Catalina Island (L.A. County)
3. Cabrillo Beach harborside (Los Angeles County)
4. Topanga State Beach at creek mouth (L.A. County)
5. Poche Beach (Orange County)
6. North Beach/Doheny (Orange County)
7. Arroyo Burro Beach (Santa Barbara County)
8. Baker Beach at Lobos Creek (San Francisco County)
9. Colorado Lagoon (Los Angeles County)
10. Capitola Beach -- west of the jetty (Santa Cruz County)
Source: Heal the Bay 2010- 2011 Annual Beach Report Card
-- Tony Barboza
Photo: Tourists play in the water under the pier at Avalon Harbor Beach. The beach was listed in the top 10 of poor water-quality beaches by the environmental group Heal the Bay. Credit: Liz O. Baylen / Los Angeles Times