Bruno Mars' Las Vegas drug case dismissed
Bruno Mars has been cleared of drug charges now that he has completed the terms of a plea deal linked to his arrest September 2010 after police said they found him in possession of cocaine in Las Vegas.
A judge dropped the charges against the Grammy-winning "Grenade" singer, whose real name is Peter Gene Hernandez, after confirming that he completed 200 hours of community service and eight hours worth of drug counseling and paid a $2,000 fine, which had been in accordance with the deal.
Mars had been arrested in a Hard Rock Hotel and Casino after a nightclub performance on Sept. 19, 2010, and surrendered a bag containing 2.6 grams of cocaine, according to police reports. The now 26-year-old singer pleaded guilty to the felony drug charges last year to avoid jail time and was offered the plea deal because he was a first-time offender. He did not appear in court on Wednesday for the hearing.
"Bruno earned the dismissal," his attorney Blair Berk said. "He exceeded the expectations of the court."
The "Just the Way You Are" singer, along with his producer-buddies the Smeezingtons, is nominated for six Grammy Awards, including record of the year ("Grenade"), album of the year ("Doo-Wops & Hooligans") and song of the year ("Grenade"). He is scheduled to perform again at the award show on Feb. 12. Here's to no more bathroom busts in his future.
— Nardine Saad
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Photo: Bruno Mars performs at the Gibson Theatre in Universal City on June 12, 2011. Credit: Lawrence K. Ho / Los Angeles Times.