Ministry of Gossip

The gospel on celebrity and pop culture

« Previous Post | Ministry of Gossip Home | Next Post »

Zsa Zsa Gabor: More surgery may be needed, rep says

October 11, 2011 |  5:39 pm

Zsa Zsa Gabor circa 1940

Zsa Zsa Gabor may be facing surgery yet again after complications developed around a feeding tube the socialite and actress had surgically replaced over the weekend.

Gabor's husband, Prince Frederick von Anhalt, said Monday that an operation done Sunday had been a success, and that his wife was "recovering nicely" and looking at heading home midweek. By Tuesday, however, there were concerns that the new tube might not be secure and that another infection could occur, representative John Blanchette told L.A. Now.

After losing consciousness Saturday, Gabor had been rushed to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. The 94-year-old -- who has been in and out of the hospital frequently since breaking her left hip in a fall from bed in July 2010 -- was battling a fever and suffering bleeding around the existing feeding tube. Doctors had expressed "guarded optimism" on Sunday before the surgery, Blanchette said.

The socialite has faced serious health issues since being injured in a 2002 car accident and suffering a stroke in 2005, with her various concerns only intensifying after her hip replacement.

Gabor's right leg was amputated above the knee in January to prevent the spread of gangrene. Problems with the feeding tube sent Gabor to the hospital in May as well, and at that time, her husband lowered the asking price on her Bel-Air home, saying the upkeep combined with his wife's medical bills was too much. In July, he spent a reported $68,000 on a billboard as a 25th anniversary gift to his wife, then in August sparked controversy as he bragged about his anniversary party and included at least a few details -- for instance, about Spago -- that seemed to have been exaggerated. 

"Spago is neither providing a cake or any cuisine for this event whatsoever," Spago co-owner Barbara Lazaroff said in a statement. "I fully support Zsa Zsa’s daughter Francesca Hilton in her quest to have visitation rights to see her mother and to receive independent evaluation of Zsa Zsa’s mental and physical health.” 

Hilton and Von Anhalt have had a battle of the publicists going on since Gabor's fall, with Hilton's frequently contradicting Von Anhalt's dramatic and dire versions of events.

Last week, Von Anhalt declared his intention to run for mayor of Los Angeles. He'd pulled his name out of the race for California governor in late July 2010, after Gabor's hip replacement.

Drama aside, the Ministry sends its best wishes to a woman who helped define the idea of the "glamour girl."

RELATED:

Zsa Zsa Gabor hospitalized after breaking hip in a fall

Zsa Zsa Gabor rushed to hospital after losing consciousness

Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband Prince Frederic von Anhalt hit by car in Beverly Hills

-- Christie D'Zurilla
Twitter.com/dzurillaville

Photo: Zsa Zsa Gabor in her home country, Hungary, circa 1940. Credit: European Pressphoto Agency.


Comments 

Advertisement










Video