John Travolta extortion case dropped in the Bahamas
With John Travolta declining to take the stand again in the Bahamas, the prosecution has dropped charges against two people accused of attempted extortion in the wake of the death of the actor's teenage son, Jett.
The move, apparently at the request of the Travolta family, came after jury selection had been completed and the retrial was about to begin. Ambulance driver Tarino Lightbourne and his attorney, politician Pleasant Bridgewater, had been accused of threatening to release private information abut the circumstances surrounding the teen's death -- specifically that John Travolta had signed a document nixing treatment at a local hospital -- unless the actor coughed up $25 million.
"The long-pending status of this matter continued to take a heavy emotional toll on my family, causing us to conclude that it was finally time to put this matter behind us," Travolta said in a statement.
The first trip to court ended in a mistrial last October.
Jett died in January 2009 after suffering a seizure while the family was on vacation at ...
After the case was dismissed, Bridgewater said she hoped this would open a new chapter for the family; Lightbourne said he'd wanted a trial so he could clear his name.
-- Christie D'Zurilla
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Photo: Ella Bleu and John Travolta at the Church of Scientology Celebrity Centre 41st Anniversary Gala on Aug. 7 in Los Angeles. Credit: Kevin Winter / Getty Images
Related dispatches from the Ministry of Gossip: