Britney Spears on 'Glee': the 10 best moments [poll] [updated]
So Britney Spears came to "Glee," blessed the young talent with her biggest hits and crushed the ratings. While our sister blog Show Tracker has the rundown, we have 10 delicious moments relevant to The Ministry that made Tuesday night great.
Read our picks and weigh in with your comments:
10. Brittany S. Pierce: Heather Morris' beyond-flighty Brittany revealed her source of contention with the pop icon: Phonetically they have the same name, and the glee club member must forever live in the other's shadow. But seriously, Morris turned it out. Vocals, dancing, style and swagger -- show creator Ryan Murphy gave new dimension to Morris by simply letting her do her thing. Kudos.
9. Social reflections on Spears: Thankfully, the writers didn't shy away from Spears in a societal context, underscoring her celebrity as well as her talent in what drives her popularity. After Matthew Morrison's Will Schuester pooh-poohs Spears as a bad role model, Jayma Mays' guidance counselor Emma Pillsbury says it's "admirable the way she's gotten her life back together. I think she's the perfect symbol for the possibility of rebirth."
8. Leave Britney Alone: Gotta love Naya Rivera's shout out to some of Spears' more unhinged fans.
6. Rachel Berry can relate to anyone getting attention: Ever the precious, self-obsessed Rachel, Lea Michele brings the laughs by relating this way to Brit Brit: "I look forward to the day the paparazzi provokes me and I attack them."
5. Britney, period: Spears herself looks fantastic woven into the delirious episode, most notably in an iconic cameo during the "Baby One More Time" number -- Spears plays a disapproving teacher in sexy kitten glasses, looking upon Lea Michele in a classroom scene. It seems like yesterday that Brit herself was in that schoolgirl gear for the original video, batting eyelashes at her own annoyed educator.
4. Is this real life? True Murphy fans might have noticed how he touched upon his roots by employing an insane and delicious plot device, dental anesthesia, to induce Britney fantasies. Reminiscent of his first show "Popular," the trick works brilliantly. Especially when Michele mocks the viral hit "David After Dentist" when coming down off her high.
3. Ranch dressing on pizza: We thought we were the only ones who did that.
2. The boys doing 'Stronger': Following the success of the football team doing "Single Ladies," the magic happens once again when the boys take on Spears' moving-on anthem.
1. Britney Spears Sex Riot! Of course, Jane Lynch's Sue Sylvester would find an enemy in sex-bomb Spears. Her moral fervor coupled with the glee club's penultimate (and smoking hot) performance of "Toxic" was mad and brilliant.
What were your favorite moments? Vote, or tell us below!
[For the record, 1:57 p.m.: The first version of this post misspelled character Brittany's name as Britney in the "Brittany S. Pierce" mention. The Ministry is now working on how "Pierce/Piers/Peers/Pierce" might be spelled.]
-- Matt Donnelly
Photo: Heather Morris channeling Britney Spears on "Glee." Credit: Fox