Dodgers Web musings: The return of Casey Blake (with beard)
Maybe it’s not the cavalry riding to the rescue, but right about now any lift to the Dodgers’ offense has to be considered a plus.
Since as The Times’ Dylan Hernandez noted, the Dodgers scored only 13 runs in their first five games and are batting .233, any upgrade is an upgrade.
Don Mattingly immediately inserted Casey Blake in the lineup Wednesday after he was activated, and batted him second. To make room for Blake, the Dodgers optioned rookie Ivan De Jesus Jr. to triple-A Albuquerque. De Jesus, after hitting .317 this spring, was 0-for-7 with five strikeouts. Blake had been on the disabled list with a sore back.
Blake’s return to third means Juan Uribe goes back to second base.
Mattingly said he had no set formula for sitting the 37-year-old Blake but planned to give him regular rest.
Also on the Web:
-- The Times’ Steve Lopez said the Dodgers continue to have a problem with fans trashing the community surrounding Dodger Stadium, and much of the problem lies with the increased parking fee.
-- The Times' Richard Winton writes that doctors think the Giants fan who was the beating victim in the Dodger Stadium parking lot on opening day has a long road to recovery.
-- USA Today’s Tom Weir writes that the onus is on Dodger fans to help find his attacker.
-- Vin Scully Is My Homeboy’s Roberto Baly has info on the candlelight vigil Wednesday night for the victim, Bryan Stow.
-- Yahoo Sports’ Tim Brown is on board with Matt Kemp finally feeling comfortable as a star in Los Angeles.
-- ESPN’s Buster Olney in a video says regardless of who owns the Dodgers, there will be much work ahead at rebuilding the organization because of a huge gap with incoming talent.
-- The Daily News’ Jill Painter on Jamey Carroll playing golf at Augusta.
-- MLB trade rumors offers its off-season review of the Dodgers.
-- Dodgers.com’s Owen Perkins says Jon Garland is close to returning and on schedule for an April 15th start.
-- Steve Dilbeck