Dodgers Now

The Times' Dodgers reporters give you all the news on the boys in blue

« Previous Post | Dodgers Now Home | Next Post »

Russell Martin reportedly has received four offers

December 9, 2010 |  7:02 pm

Russellmartin Russell Martin is getting a lot of love from the American League.

There are reports he has received offers from four teams. ESPN/Boston.com’s Gordon Edes reported three of the teams are the Red Sox, Yankees and Blue Jays.

Marc Craig of the Newark Star Ledger tweeted a fourth team -- the proverbial mystery team -- has offered a multi-year deal.

Guess a lot of people are convinced Martin won’t struggle to come back from that labral tear and fractured hip.

The Dodgers offered Martin $4.2 million to return to Los Angeles next year, but the catcher refused to sign for less than the $5.025 million he earned last season.

When the two sides could not come to an agreement, the Dodgers non-tendered Martin and he became a free agent.

The Dodgers then quickly signed catcher Rod Barajas, and are expected to announce the signing of catcher Dioner Navarro after he passes his physical.

Martin’s production had been in a downward spiral prior to his injury, but his agent -- Matt Colleran -- told Edes he was in "serious" discussions with the Red Sox, Yankees and Blue Jays, and expected to continue those conversations Friday.

Even after non-tendering Martin, Dodgers General Manager Ned Colletti said he was still interested in re-signing him as a utility player, although that was expected to be at a lower rate.

The surge of interest in Martin, plus the signing of Navarro, however, all but assures the two-time All-Star will not return to the Dodgers next season.

Martin hit .248 last season, with five home runs and 26 RBIs in 331 at-bats.

-- Steve Dilbeck

Photo: Russell Martin hits a two-run double against the Angels in the fifth inning of an interleague game last season at Dodger Stadium. Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times

Comments 

Advertisement










Video