Dodgers Now

The Times' Dodgers reporters give you all the news on the boys in blue

« Previous Post | Dodgers Now Home | Next Post »

Dodgers' web doings: That legion of fifth starting pitching candidates might not be enough

February 18, 2010 |  5:22 pm
Charlie Here’s a rundown on some Dodgers’ Web doings, leading off with Buster Olney's interview at ESPN.com with general manager Ned Colletti.
 
 -- It’s a body count.
 
Olney said Colletti listed at least eight candidates for the fifth spot in the Dodgers rotation -- Scott Elbert, Charlie Haeger, James McDonald, Carlos Monasterios, Eric Stults, Ramon Ortiz, Russ Ortiz and Josh Towers -- but concedes he might have missed a few.

There’s always Josh Lindblom and Jeff Weaver.

More interesting, Colletti was saying if someone didn’t emerge from the pack, he would look outside the organization to fill the fifth spot. "We'd love to have a bona fide No. 5 starter,’’ Colletti said.

Warning: You have to be a member of ESPN’s Insider to read the full column.
-- It’s a love-hate thing.

Just because they turned on him, don’t think Manny Ramirez still isn’t big back in the Boston area. Apparently, he can still sell tickets at Fenway.

The Red Sox announced a registration plan on their team website Thursday for tickets to see the Yankees or Dodgers.

"Here is your chance to see the Red Sox battle the New York Yankees, the return of Manny Ramirez with the Los Angeles Dodgers …’’

-- It should be so over.

Despite SI’s Jon Heyman’s contention that the Dodgers were the most likely destination for right-hander Eric Gagne, it now appears he may end up a Rockie.

MLB’s Thomas Harding said via Twitter that the Rockies had offered Gagne a minor-league deal. Harding, however, said the Dodgers remain a factor.

Really, the Dodgers don’t need Gagne. They already are bringing back the best bullpen in the major leagues. You can’t go home again. Leave us with the dominant memories.

  -- It’s a superstar attitude.

Ken Gurnick profiles outfielder Andre Ethier at Dodgers.com, and the outfielder said he won’t be complacent after his breakout year.

"I'll come in mentally thinking I have a lot to prove and to achieve," Ethier told Gurnick. "It's not a situation where you can get complacent just because you had a good year or because you signed a two-year deal.’’

Last year Ethier led the majors with six walk-off hits, and had career highs with 31 homers, 42 doubles, 106 RBIs, 72 walks and 92 runs.

Ethier signed a two-year, $15.25-million deal in the offseason.

-- Steve Dilbeck

Photo: Charlie Haeger. Credit: Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times

Comments 

Advertisement










Video