Dinner tonight! Galician fish stew
If you're looking for a simple but hearty way to end the day, look no further than a rich fish stew. This Galician dish combines white fish fillets (use something like cod or halibut) with potatoes, garlic, onion and notes of bay leaf and pimenton for a simple yet flavorful meal. The whole thing comes together in about an hour, and the recipe can be found below.
For more quick-fix dinner ideas, check out our video recipe gallery here. Food editor Russ Parsons and Test Kitchen manager Noelle Carter show you how to fix a dozen dishes in an hour or less.
Photo: Ricardo DeAratanha / Los Angeles Times
Total time: 1 hour
Note: For the stew, use a white fish such as cod or halibut.
1 1/2 pounds fish fillets
1 1/2 pounds boiling potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 quart water
1 onion, quartered
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons sweet pimentón (paprika, not smoked)
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
1. Cut the fish fillets into chunks and place the fish in a bowl. If using fresh (not frozen) fish, sprinkle over one-half teaspoon salt and toss with the fish, then set the fish aside for 30 minutes before adding to the soup — the fish does not need to be rinsed before using (do not salt the fish if using frozen).
2. Put the potatoes in a deep, heavy-bottomed pot with the water, onion, bay leaves and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the chunks of fish and continue to simmer 15 minutes more, or until the potatoes are tender.
3. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat the oil over high heat and sauté the chopped garlic until golden, stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the pimentón and vinegar.
4. When the potatoes are tender and the fish just flakes, remove the fish and potatoes to a large serving bowl or tureen.
5. Add the garlic-pimentón sauce to the remaining broth. Bring quickly to a boil, stirring, then pour it over the fish and potatoes. Discard the bay leaf.
Each serving: 434 calories; 31 grams protein; 35 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams fiber; 19 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 82 mg cholesterol; 3 grams sugar; 1,283 mg sodium.