This week's recipes from the L.A. Times Test Kitchen
This week, Food shares our Top 10 recipes of 2011:
It takes a lot to get a recipe through our Test Kitchen. We make it again and again, getting it so that it doesn't just work but is the best that it can be. Like the children at Lake Wobegon, all of our recipes are above average. But still, of the more than 300 we published in 2011 — more than most cookbooks — there were some that stood out more than others.
And so, as is our tradition, we're bringing back our 10 favorite recipes of 2011 for a curtain call.
We cover a wide range, everything from rich apple butter cake to crisp-skinned salmon, homemade pop tarts and chickpea salad with Spanish chorizo. In addition to the top 10 recipes we included in print, we offer two extra favorites online!
This week's recipes are:
- White beans with chorizo, clams and shrimp
- Nancy Silverton's focaccia
- Crisp-skinned salmon with lentils, bacon and dandelion greens
- Soft pretzels
- Homemade pop tarts
- Italian sausage and kale gratin
- Chickpea salad with chorizo
- Spicy Moroccan carrot salad
- Huckleberry's whole wheat apple butter cake
- Leg of lamb stuffed with greens, feta and pine nuts
- Pandan chiffon cake with coconut glaze
When you try one of this week's recipes or any L.A. Times recipe, let us know! Upload a photo onto the "Our recipes, your kitchen" gallery to share your take on the recipe and tell us about yourself. Your photo will be posted online and may be selected to run in print with our weekly section.
-- Noelle Carter
Photo: Nancy Silverton's olive and rosemary focaccia. Credit: Anne Cusack / Los Angeles Times