This week's recipes from the L.A. Times Test Kitchen
This week, Food staff members share our annual cookbook round-up:
Of the hundreds of food books that were published this fall, which are the ones you really want to have in your library?
We in The Times' Food section have some suggestions. After sifting through the lion's share of new releases and cooking dozens of recipes from them, we've come up with an assortment of 10 books in a variety of categories that we can heartily recommend. We've got books from chefs and books from home cooks; there's Italian, Moroccan and even Viennese; we've got a book on ground meat and a book on offal; we've even got a "book" that isn't really a book but could be the best food gift of all.
And of course we include recipes, like the brownie pie above!
We also delved into the world of electric pressure cookers. Sure, pressure cookers are great, but what if your cooker could also double as a rice cooker, steamer or even slow cooker? An electric pressure cooker might make a great holiday gift for the avid cook in your family. We also tested several popular models in our Test Kitchen and share the results. Oh, and we also share recipes.
This week's recipes include:
- Lamb tagine with layered onions from "The Foods of Morocco"
- Savory bread pudding from "The Food52 Cookbook"
- Salad with warm bone marrow croutons from "Odd Bits"
- Rare beef tostada from "Mission Street Food"
- Brownie pie from "Momofuku Milk Bar"
- Cauliflower gratin from "The Mozza Cookbook"
- Beef goulash from "Neue Cuisine"
- Brazilian salt cod fritters from "Ground Up"
- Butternut squash with balsamic and chile panko crumbs from "Home Cooking With Jean-Georges"
- Coq au vin (pressure cooker)
- Bolognese sauce (pressure cooker)
- Pumpkin risotto (pressure cooker)
- Brandied applesauce (pressure cooker)
When you try one of this week's recipes or any L.A. Times recipe, let us know! Upload a photo onto the "Our recipes, your kitchen" gallery to share your take on the recipe and tell us about yourself. Your photo will be posted online and may be selected to run in print with our weekly section.
-- Noelle Carter
Photo: Brownie pie. Credit: Anne Cusack / Los Angeles Times