Sampler Platter: Top 100 Wines of 2009, best late-night diner, best gay bar, Soda Pop's sandwich shop opens this week, tofurky gravy soda
-- Elina Shatkin
• Main Street merchants want a crack at the Santa Monica Farmers Market. Santa Monica Daily Press
• While the rest of the world tries to reduce its plastic use, Aussie winemaker Peter Yealands switches to plastic wine bottles. Stuff
• Nov. 23 is the New Yorker's food issue with John Colapinto on the secrets of the Michelin guide, Calvin Trillin on poutine, Adam Gopnik on cookbooks, Mimi Sheraton on spit cakes; Evan Osnos on Beijing's love of wine, Raffi Khatchadourian on the Givaudan flavor factory and more.
• Prospectors set to drill for Shackleton's booze in Antarctica. Metro
• Meat manicure: bacon nail tips. Jezebel
• All About Beer celebrates 30th anniversary edition: "Revolution!" versus "What Revolution?"
Photo: Stan Augustyn handles oils at Givaudan-Roure Corp. Credit: Joe Tabacca / For The Times