Sampler Platter: Tiki drinks, coffee roasting and Hawaiian food
Midweek food bites...
- If you love tiki, be sure to visit the Tonga Room in San Francisco before the Fairmont Hotel is turned into condos. Kevin Kidney
- Why carbs and sugar make you hungrier. Wall Street Journal
- Pleasure Palate digs into a Hawaiian breakfast at Gardena Bowl, a hidden gem of Hawaiian food that South Bay residents have long known about.
- Mattatouille tours the Intelligentsia roasting works in Glassell Park.
- Hollywood hiring freeze spreads to restaurants. Citrus at Social and Eat on Sunset are reducing hours, and Campanile's business dropped 25% in the final quarter of 2008. Variety via Eater LA
- Germany bans cultivation of GM corn. Der Spiegel
- L.A. and O.C. Foodie checks out opening night at Saam at the Bazaar by Jose Andres: salty air margaritas; caviar steamed bun; bagel and lox crispy cone; "canned" uni conservas; boneless chicken wing; nitro gazpacho; smoked sous-vide salmon; dragon’s breath and more.
- Teenage Glutster gets an 18-course lesson in authentic Mexican food from Ramiro Arvizu and Jaime Martin Del Campo of La Casita Mexicana.
-- Elina Shatkin
Photo: The loco moco (rice, ground beef patty, brown gravy and a fried egg) at Shakas in the San Gabriel Valley. Credit: Lawrence K. Ho / Los Angeles Times.