Sampler Platter: Whoopie pies, fried chicken and food contests
- Whoopie pies are making a comeback. New York Times
- The deadline to enter the 28th National Beef Cook-Off is March 31. (Any locals competing? Drop us a line.)
- You can make chocolate cake in a tin can. MSNBC
- The secret to fried chicken is to bake it first. San Jose Mercury News
- Where to eat when you've been summoned for jury duty in downtown L.A. NewsMeBaby
- The Chocolate World Expo is coming to New York on March 29.
- Calling extreme bakers: Extreme Cake Challenge is now casting. Reality Wanted
- A new Dunkin' Donuts contest running through April 7 allows doughnut lovers to create your own flavor of virtual doughnut.
-- Elina Shatkin
Photo: Left: Musician Kid Rock eats fried chicken on his float before the Krewe of Endymion parade in New Orleans on Feb. 21. (Credit: Alex Brandon / Associated Press) Right: The airy golden brown crust of this fried chicken was made with buttermilk. (Credit: Robert Lachman / Los Angeles Times)