Sampler Platter: Lobsters, the FDA and Mexican restaurants in downtown L.A.
Savory bites for Monday afternoon ...
- Opening in mid-February, Yxta Cocina Mexicana, owned by Jesse Gomez of Highland Park's El Arco Iris, will replace the defunct Sixth Street Bar & Grill at 6th & Central in the industrial district of downtown L.A. Angelenic
- 20-pound, 140-year-old lobster freed by Manhattan restaurant. Despite the thousands of other fish and shellfish the restaurant serves each year, PETA views this as a blow for freedom. CNN
- Beer is the hot new cocktail mixer. SF Gate
- What made Oprah fat? Blue corn chips. Serious Eats
- When even scientists at the FDA say the FDA is fundamentally broken, it might be time to listen. CNN
- R.I.P., Alan S. Geisler, pioneer of the ubiquitous red onion sauce that New Yorkers slosh on their hot dogs. New York Times
- If you like peanut butter-and-pickle sandwiches, how about beet-and-pickle tacos? Hot Knives
- Southwest Airlines joins the grub-for-points game with Rapid Rewards Dining.
-- Elina Shatkin
Photo: Bogavante a la Gallega, a specialty of Spanish master chef Jose Andres. Photo credit: Michael Robinson Chavez / Los Angeles Times