Sampler Platter: Cupcakes, coffee and the end of food as we know it
A dash of news and a pinch of infotainment...
- What's Jonathan Gold reading about? The death of the oceans, the collapse of the honeybee population and the end of food as we know it. Counter Intelligence
- Intelligentsia Venice, designed by Silver Lake architect and designer Ana Henton, to open in February on Abbot-Kinney. Food GPS
- Garden Berry "yogurt lounge" to open on 9th Street downtown, next door to the Cooper Design Space and near Wood Spoon and the recently opened Gram & Papa's. Angelenic
- Obama names Tom Vilsack to be his Agriculture secretary. L.A. Times
- Would a proposed new "cow tax" raise your grocery bill? Epicurious
- Brits drink more California wine than French wine. Sadly, it's mostly Gallo, Blossom Hill, Echo Falls, Rivercrest and Paul Masson. Telegraph
- Happy belated National Cupcake Day (Dec. 15)... and National Chocolate Cupcake Day (Oct. 18)... and National Vanilla Cupcake Day (Nov. 10).
- The natto is nasty but the ramen rocks at Santouka Ramen in the jumbo Mitsuwa market in Torrance. Eating L.A.
- Gourmet Pigs noshes on salmon belly crudo at Riva, the new restaurant from Jason Travi of Fraiche.
- Are there ANY good oyster po' boys in SoCal? Chowhound
- One restaurant, three menus at Macy's new Signature Kitchen in Costa Mesa. Fast Food Maven
-- Elina Shatkin
Photo: (left) A cupcake from Sprinkled Pink Cupcake Couture (Liz O. Baylen / Los Angeles Times); (right) A pair of supermarket cupcakes (Glenn Koenig / Los Angeles Times).