Sampler Platter: cupcakes, chili dogs, dumpling rickshaws
The best food news from around the web...
- The newest Crumbs bake shop opens Friday on Brand Avenue in Glendale. Perfect for Black Friday shoppers fleeing the Americana. Free cupcakes for all, starting at 9 a.m.! Eater LA
- Decorate your own cupcake at SweetSpot Baker’s Workshop, recently opened at the Irvine Spectrum Center. Fast Food Maven
- Upscale London-Italian restaurant Cecconi's, helmed by Soho House maven Nick Jones, will go into the old Morton's space. Zagat LA
- Food GPS previews the downtown outpost of Bottle Rock.
- Who makes the best chili dogs in L.A.? You asked. Chowhound answered.
- What if I want my mashed potatoes in liquid form? Lola's on Fairfax. More Thanksgiving-themed cocktails. LAist
- Dumpling rickshaws versus halal carts: turf wars on the mean streets of NYC. Time Out NY
- When candy is outlawed, only outlaws will have candy. Students running underground junk food trade donate profits to charity. CBC News
- SWT (single white truffle), unlucky in love, seeking caring, serious NYC restaurant for LTR. Gothamist
- Muslim prisoners receive special curry dinner to celebrate Eid, the end of Ramadan. The Sun
- Porn star-turned-lunch lady causes uproar. FOX News
- Applebee's low-fat menu not as skinny as promised. ABC Action News
- The slick, greasy lie of olive oil. Connecticut Post
- If you didn't make it out to Canelé last night for "Consider the Oyster," check out Russ Parsons' take on Point Reyes, Nick's Cove, Hog Island Oyster Co. and Cowgirl Creamery. L.A. Times
- Stupid Thanksgiving "news": Only 30% of households will actually prepare a turkey on T-Day. WBBM
-- Elina Shatkin
Photo (left): the Oki Dog burrito featuring two hot dogs, chili, cheese and pastrami. (Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times)
Photo (right): candied bacon martini. (Ricardo DeAratanha / Los Angeles Times)