9/11 museum in New York faces more controversy
The planned museum at ground zero in Lower Manhattan has hit yet another stumbling block as families of some of the victims of the 9/11 attacks have voiced opposition to a plan for storing human remains below the museum.
On Sunday, family members spoke at the former World Trade Center site, revealing the results of a survey they said shows that the vast majority of respondents are against the internment of remains at the site, according to reports.
The plan was to bury the remains deep within the walls of the museum. But some relatives said they believe that this is disrespectful to the dead and that the remains should be stored in a tomb above ground.
Last year, the memorial portion of the project was unveiled on the 10-year anniversary of the terrorist attacks.
Over the last few months, the adjoining museum has been embroiled in controversy surrounding costs. The planned 2012 opening of the museum has been delayed due to a dispute between the Port Authority and the National Sept. 11 Memorial and Museum foundation over funding of the project.
-- David Ng
Photo: A view of the 9/11 memorial in New York. Credit: Carolyn Cole / Los Angeles Times