« Previous | Culture Monster Home | Next »

Downtown property owners pledge money to save art walk, rival weekend art walk in the works [Updated]

October 1, 2010 |  5:30 pm

ArtWalk Leaders of the Downtown Art Walk said Friday that they have raised enough money in the last week to save the popular monthly event whose future had appeared uncertain just days ago.

The board of directors said they have an annual pledge of close to $200,000 from eight property owners in the Historic Downtown and Old Bank districts, which will enable them to hire a full-time executive director and to address security, clean-up and other operational logistics surrounding the event that attracts upwards of 20,000 people each month.

The announcement comes as a small group of downtown galleries is coming together in an effort to launch a competing art walk that would operate on a quarterly basis. Still in its nascent stages, the rival project would take place during the daytime on weekends and would include a larger swath of the downtown gallery scene.

Read more on the story here.

-- David Ng

This updates an earlier version of this story.

Photo: Iran Larios, right, and Heidi Mares enjoying the music and the scene along West 5th Street during the monthly downtown Los Angeles art walk on Dec. 11, 2008. Credit: Los Angeles Times

Art RECENT AND RELATED

Downtown Art Walk considers its next step

Confusion reigns over fate of Downtown Art Walk‎


 
Comments () | Archives (2)

Well done and a big thanks to those property owners who agreed to donate.

Yes!!!


Advertisement
Connect

Recommended on Facebook


In Case You Missed It...

Video


Explore the arts: See our interactive venue graphics



Advertisement

Tweets and retweets from L.A. Times staff writers.


Categories


Archives