Leonard Slatkin cancels Disney Hall appearances for December
Earlier this month, the conductor experienced a heart attack while conducting a concert in the Netherlands. According to a report, he felt chest pains while on the podium and later collapsed backstage. He subsequently underwent surgery and has pronounced that he is on the road to recovery.
Slatkin has had to cancel a number of performances this fall and today comes word that his return to the podium will be delayed even further. The Los Angeles Philharmonic said that Slatkin has had to cancel his two December appearances at Walt Disney Concert Hall.
In a statement, the orchestra said: "After consultation with his doctors, Conductor Leonard Slatkin has chosen to undergo three weeks of additional precautionary cardiac treatment necessitating the cancellation of his scheduled performances with the L.A. Phil on Dec. 3 and 4."
Slatkin will be replaced by composer John Adams, who will conduct the orchestra in the world premiere performance of Oscar-nominated composer Thomas Newman's "It Got Dark," which is an L.A. Philharmonic commission.
Also filling in for Slatkin will be Jayce Ogren, who will lead the orchestra in Jerry Goldsmith’s "Music for Orchestra" and Franz Waxman’s "Tristan and Isolde Fantasy."
The orchestra said that the programs for both concerts -- which are billed as part of the West Coast, Left Coast festival -- have not changed.
-- David Ng
Photo: Leonard Slatkin. Credit: Lori Shepler / Los Angeles Times