PolitiCal

On politics in the Golden State

« Previous Post | PolitiCal Home | Next Post »

Fliers, website slam Richard Alarcon

February 16, 2012 |  3:50 pm

Richard Alarcon
Richard Alarcon, a Los Angeles city councilman and a former state senator and assemblyman, hasn't had the easiest reentry into the world of state political campaigns.

First, the East San Fernando Valley Democrat lost the state party endorsement to his main rival for an Assembly seat this year, Raul Bocanegra, on a unanimous vote.

Now there is a website that draws attention to Alarcon's indictment on felony charges stemming from whether he and his wife lied about living in his City Council district. The website features a Monopoly-style game board with "Get out of Jail Free" and other game cards that, when clicked on, spell out "details" of the charges against Alarcon. (He has pleaded not guilty to all counts.)

The website says "insiders speculate" that Alarcon is running so he can raise money to pay for his legal defense. The Alarcon campaign did not respond to a request for comment Thursday.

Fliers publicizing the website were handed out over the weekend at the California Democratic Party convention in San Diego.  Neither the fliers nor the website identify who is behind them. 

Bocanegra is chief of staff for termed-out Assemblyman Felipe Fuentes (D-Sylmar), who he wants to succeed. Fuentes and several other elected officials, including state Sen. Alex Padilla (D-Pacoima) and Los Angeles City Councilman Tony Cardenas, have endorsed Bocanegra.

Bocanegra spokesman Josh Pulliam said Thursday that the campaign "had nothing to do with" the website or fliers and didn't know who was behind  them.

He said he found the negative devices "a little frustrating" because they could detract from what he called Bocanegra's strong grass-roots campaign and broad support.

ALSO:

California's glut of tax hike initiatives

Time for a truce on tax hike initiatives

Dueling tax hike measures pushed as Democrats hold convention

-- Jean Merl

Photo: L.A. Councilman Richard Alarcon at a city budget hearing last year. Credit: Anne Cusack / Los Angeles Times

 

 

 

Comments 

Advertisement










Video