Babylon & Beyond

Observations from Iraq, Iran,
Israel, the Arab world and beyond

« Previous Post | Babylon & Beyond Home | Next Post »

LIBYA: Kadafi son wants to broker cease-fire

August 24, 2011 |  5:58 pm

SaadiOne of Moammar Kadafi's sons has apparently emailed a CNN reporter Wednesday, offering to broker a cease-fire.

CNN Senior International Correspondent Nic Robertson said he received an email Wednesday from Saadi Kadafi, 38, a soccer player and member of his father's regime who Libyan rebel leaders said they had captured on Sunday.

In the email, Kadafi said he had the authority to negotiate and wanted to discuss a cease-fire with U.S. and NATO officials, Robertson said.

"I will try to save my city Tripoli and 2 millions of people living there ... otherwise Tripoli will be lost forever like Somalia," Saadi Kadafi wrote.

Without a cease-fire, he added, "soon it will be a sea of blood."

Saadi Kadafi was one of three sons of the 69-year-old Libyan leader who the rebel Transitional National  Council announced had been captured during its weekend attack on Tripoli.

One of the other two, Mohammed Kadafi, escaped house arrest Monday with the aid of Kadafi loyalists.

The third son, Seif Islam Kadafi, his father's presumed heir, was also supposedly captured but then suddenly appeared at the capital's Rixos Hotel early Tuesday to refute reports of his arrest and rally support.

There was no immediate comment from TNC officials on Saadi Kadafi's status or his offer, CNN  reported.

Libyan government officials have made several cease-fire offers during the six-month revolt against Moammar Kadafi's 42-year rule.

RELATED:

Third Kadafi son is captured, rebels say

Kadafi son appears at Tripoli hotel

Kadafi's eldest son may have escaped rebel captors

-- Molly Hennessy-Fiske

Photo: Saadi Kadafi, third son of the Libyan leader, Moammar Kadafi, speaks to the media as he arrives in Sydney, Australia, in February 2005. Credit: Dan Peled / Associated Press

Comments 

Advertisement










Video