Babylon & Beyond

Observations from Iraq, Iran,
Israel, the Arab world and beyond

« Previous Post | Babylon & Beyond Home | Next Post »

LIBYA: Three more journalists missing

March 20, 2011 | 10:54 am

Three more journalists have gone missing in Libya, according to news reports.

The three journalists -- an Agence France-Presse reporter and photographer and a Getty Images photographer -- were believed to be working together near the eastern city of Tobruk when they went missing Saturday morning, the French news agency said Sunday.

AFP reporter Dave Clark and photographer Roberto Schmidt had informed the agency in an e-mail Friday night that they planned to meet opponents of Libyan leader Moammar Kadafi and speak with refugees fleeing the fighting between rebels and loyalists. They were accompanied by Joe Raedle of Getty Images, the agency said.

The journalists have not been heard from since they sent the e-mail, AFP said.

Libyan authorities are believed to be holding a number of other journalists detained while covering the uprising. They include four New York Times journalists who went missing while covering the fighting in the east last week.

The paper said it expected the four to be freed Friday, but there has been no indication whether this happened.

On Saturday, Al Jazeera TV said that four of its journalists -- including a Norwegian, a Briton, a Tunisian and a Mauritanian -- were being held in Tripoli after being arrested in the west of the country. One of the network’s cameramen was killed March 12 in an apparent ambush near the rebel stronghold of Benghazi.

A Libyan who ran a webcast program showing the aftermath of government attacks and commentary on the uprising also was killed Saturday in a government assault on the city, the Associated Press reported.

-- Alexandra Zavis

Comments 

Advertisement










Video