L.A. Retailers share their favorite fall merchandise
Temperatures may be soaring, but fall fashion is in full swing. Whether you’ve done any shopping yet or plan to rock your flip flops a few weeks longer, some of L.A's most influential retailers have stocked their stores with the coats, boots and denim you’ll want to be wearing sooner than later.
Des Kohan of Des Kohan
"I love all the texture and color happening for fall and I especially like mixing the two," says Kohan, whose mid-Wilshire store is best known for avant garde items as well as some exclusive merchandise from designers like Annie Costello Brown and Azzedine Alaia.
Pieces that Kohan is especially excited about:
- Preen's colorful, geometric print blouse
- Hussein Chalayan cashmere mix pants in bordeaux that Kohan calls "the perfect fluid pant"
- Azzedine Alaia boots and booties, for which Des Kohan says it has a waiting list. "Alaia changed the shape of the heel, making it more modern and chunky thus easier to walk in," Kohan says.
- Annie Costello Brown and Des Kohan capsule collection of colorful belts, cuffs, necklaces and bracelets.
- Jewelry from Nancy Newberg, a new L.A.-based designer. "She is going to debut her collection at Des Kohan," Kohan says, describing Newberg’s Art Deco inspired diamond and oxidized silver earrings as especially covetable this season. "They’re like a flower yet architectural and modern, and I love that they are a statement piece that can be dressed down with a T-shirt or worn with an evening gown."
Darren Gold of Alpha
Alpha stocks on-trend menswear and quirky accessories that add a stylish edge to any guy, but without the intimidation factor of a high-end store. Owner Darren
Gold is coveting staples like plaid button-downs and canvas travel bags, plus seasonal items such as rubber duck boots that work as a stylish, heavier alternative to Crocs.
- Native’s Rubber Duck Boots
- Hasso’s canvas bags
- Descendant of Thieves button-down shirts
- Shades of Grey’s vegan leather jacket
- Ivy Prepster’s knit ties
- Madison Collective's Fireman Pant
Melissa Richardson Akkaway of Beckley
Beckley is a go-to spot for ultra-feminine, contemporary pieces and Richardson Akkaway’s top picks are the kind of thing that seem to make perfect sense for an effortless L.A wardrobe, including:
- Enza Costa’s long-sleeve raglan T-shirt in a gorgeous Lilac
- Vena Cava’s Riot Girl dress
- Rebecca Minkoff’s leopard print Siri jumpsuit
- Camilla Skovgaard’s Saw ankle bootie
- Roseanna’s checked navy poncho
- Hanii Y’s black leather vest with a lamb fur collar
- Thakoon peplum charcoal gray and red checked jacket
-- Melissa Magsaysay
Photos, from top: Camilla Skovgaard's saw ankle bootie; a look from the Preen FW2011 runway; jewelry from Nancy Newberg; Native duck boot; a look from the Thakoon FW2011 runway. Credits: Camilla Skovgaard; Alessandro Garofalo / GoRunway.com; Nancy Newberg; Native; Alessandro Garofolo / GoRunway.com