The most striking beauty looks from the New York Spring 2010 runways
From edgy to ethereal, these hair and makeup looks from New York’s Spring 2010 runways shows were some of the most inspiring or wearable.
Rodarte’s dark and webby dresses called for a hairstyle that was just as intricate. This may not be one to try at home, but the style was full of texture and looked almost sculpted.
Hair stylist Odile Gilbert created something daring enough to rival the Rodarte sister’s futuristic creations.
Keep reading to find out how she got the look:
•Step 1: Dampen hair with water and prep with Aveda Phomollient Styling Foam to add volume. Scrunch hair with fingers while blow-drying.
• Step 2: Sprinkle Aveda Pure Abundance Hair Potion generously on hair (using most of the bottle), working in layers, to create matte, roughed-up texture throughout. Massage product into the hair and scalp with fingers.
• Step 3: Once Aveda Pure Abundance Hair Potion is worked in, scrunch and twist hair with fingers while blowing-drying. Spray hair liberally with Aveda Air Control Hair Spray for workable hold.
• Step 4: Twist the sides of hair back and secure at ear-level with black hair pins.
• Step 5: Prepare a piece of natural black wool by spreading it out with fingers to create a thin veil. Beginning across the top of the head, a couple of inches from the hairline, spread the wool out delicately, pinning it securely in place. Continue draping the organic wool over hair to ends, securing in place with pins.
• Step 6: Twirl the wool around the ends and tie into a knot, creating the illusion of the end of a ponytail. Spray thoroughly with Aveda Air Control Hair Spray to hold the look in place.
The makeup at Thakoon and Max Azria were much more on the wearable side and are both classic looks that women will want to incorporate into their makeup routine.
Lead artist Diane Kendal went for luminous skin and contoured cheeks at Thakoon. Here’s how she did it:
-Apply NARS Sheer Matte Foundation to conceal imperfections
-To achieve luminosity, apply NARS Orgasm Illuminator (new for spring 2010) to the cheeks, nose, forehead and chin
-To contour the cheeks, apply NARS Malaysia Multiple Bronzer and blend into the cheek bones
-Highlight the cheekbones and nose with the white side of NARS Hungry Heart Blush Duo
-Apply the brown side of NARS Alhambra Duo Eyeshadow on the entire eyelid up to the brows
-Blend NARS D. Gorgeous Single Eyeshadow (new for spring 2010) as well as the light pink side of NARS Kuala Lumpur Duo Eyeshadow (new for spring 2010) into the crease, outer eye and up towards the brow bone.
- Apply NARS Bali Single Eyeshadow to the upper and lower lash lines as well as to the crease in the eyelid, blending with the other shadows to create definition.
-Dust NARS Night Snow Single Eyeshadow in the corners of the eyes
-Mute lips by using NARS Concealer
-With your finger, apply NARS Ophelia Lipgloss (new for spring 2010) to the lips
A luminous look that suits most faces. Good thing Temptu now makes not-so-intimidating, consumer friendly air brush machinery to use at home.
-- Melissa Magsaysay
Photos: Rodarte/Aveda, Thakoon/Nars, MaxAzria/Temptu