Kobe out-hustles Garnett, tops NBA in jersey sales
Although a Lakers championship is still a ways off, they’ve already won one NBA contest so far this year –- the league’s most popular team when it comes to merchandise sales, and 11-time All-Star Kobe Bryant is the bestseller of all, regaining the spot he lost to Kevin Garnett last season.
Garnett, now at the No. 2 spot, is followed by Cleveland Cavaliers’ LeBron James. Pau Gasol is posting better numbers as well, robust sales of his jersey moved him from No. 15 last year to No. 6.
Despite an overall poor economy, an NBA rep tells All the Rage that jersey sales so far this season are up 40% this season.
The rankings are based on sales at the NBA Store in New York City and online at NBAStore.com from the start of the season through the current month.
A complete list of the top 15 most popular jerseys and top 10 teams follows below.
Photo: Kobe Bryant on Jan. 9. Credit: Luis Sinco / Los Angeles Times
NBA’s Most Popular Player Jerseys
1. Kobe Bryant – Los Angeles Lakers
2. Kevin Garnett – Boston Celtics
3. LeBron James – Cleveland Cavaliers
4. Chris Paul – New Orleans Hornets
5. Allen Iverson – Detroit Pistons
6. Pau Gasol – Los Angeles Lakers
7. Paul Pierce - Boston Celtics
8. Dwyane Wade – Miami Heat
9. Derrick Rose – Chicago Bulls
10. Nate Robinson – New York Knicks
11. Steve Nash – Phoenix Suns
12. Dwight Howard - Orlando Magic
13. Ray Allen – Boston Celtics
14. David Lee – New York Knicks
15. Carmelo Anthony – Denver Nuggets
Top 10 NBA Teams in Merchandise Sales
1. Los Angeles Lakers
2. Boston Celtics
3. New York Knicks
4. Cleveland Cavaliers
5. Chicago Bulls
6. Phoenix Suns
7. Detroit Pistons
8. New Orleans Hornets
9. Miami Heat
10. San Antonio Spurs